Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs sirloin beef tips
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 white onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncinis
- 1 1/2 cups-2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How To Make Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy
- Season beef with salt and pepper and toss in flour to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, or in the insert of your instant pot if you’re using that, melt butter. Add beef in batches and sear on all sides until brown and crusty. Remove to a plate and continue searing beef until complete.
- Add onions and cook briefly, just 2 minutes or so, scraping up bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon.
TO MAKE IN THE SLOW COOKER:
- Transfer beef and onions to slow cooker and add mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, rosemary, bouillon cube, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, pepperoncinis, and 2 cups beef stock. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking time is over, whisk cornstarch into 3 tablespoons water and add to slow cooker. Cover and continue cooking for remaining 30 minutes. Season to taste and enjoy!
TO MAKE IN THE INSTANT POT:
- Add beef back to Instant Pot (with onions) and add mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, rosemary, bouillon cube, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, pepperoncinis, and 1 1/2 cups beef stock.
- Cover and select “Meat/Stew” setting. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Once cooking time is up, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before switching the pressure release valve to “venting” to release any remaining pressure.
- Turn on “Sauté” setting. Stir cornstarch into 3 tablespoons water, then stir into cooking liquid in Instant Pot.
- Let simmer until gravy thickens, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!