- 1 loaf challah bread, torn into strips or cubed (older bread works better in this recipe)
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- caramel sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Combine butter and brown sugar in food processor and pulse together until mixture is the consistency of small pebbles.
- Toss chopped pecans in sugar butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk half-and-half and eggs together until combined, then stir in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt.
- Submerge bread strips in liquid and carefully stir so everything is coated completely. Note: if preparing ahead of time, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Grease slow cooker with butter or non-stick spray and transfer bread (which should have absorbed all liquid) into slow cooker insert.
- Sprinkle your butter and sugar coated pecans over the top of the bread mixture and cook on LOW for 3 hours (or on HIGH for 1 1/2), stirring occasionally, or until mixture is bubbly and bread is cooked through and golden brown.
- Transfer to plates, drizzle with caramel sauce, and serve hot.